IPad Intelligence for Teachers and Students

3 APPS I reviewed for IPad Use

– site URL:  www.iear.org/iear/category/app-of-the-week
– what you like best about the site: it had everything, I kept clicking and going off on tangents and needed to reel myself back in and finally went to 10 top new apps article dated ( 2/12) and found the best 3 for me.
– one thing that you learned from the site that you did not see in class:  I learn so much in each arena, so pretty much it is just new apps and possibilities, but in your classroom I get get personal clarification.
– Why should I visit this site? I picked the BrainPop(I used BrainPopJr), which you may have already showed us. I liked how I was able to pick a subject and go down to standards and CCSD  Core Curriculum Standards show up with matching BrainPop resources to click and go to.  I am presenting Endangered Pandas this week and was able to find several free activities to hook my students with.

I am looking for technology to grab a struggling student?  It will need to show me how to access high-speed Internet opening a world of learning? What combination of pedagogy and curriculum can deliver the magic blend of fun, interest, academic content, and the many component skills that lead to academic success—especially for students who need to make up for lost time?

3 APPS I reviewed

iBooks app, peeps are realizing how much you can really do with the iBooks app! On this week’s MacReach podcast (Episode 37), we challenged ourselves to come up with 9 different ways to use the iBooks app with students in the classroom! iBookscan be so much MORE than just an e-Reader app!

1. grammar lessons: located parts of speech with different colored highlighters
  2. analyze quotes using the notes
  3. information scavenger hunt
  4. discover a new author/topic/genre using the iBook Store
  5. Copy PDFs of Maps, etc.
  6. Free books on a large variety of topics (just search Google!)
  7. Collections in the iBooks (add new collections) – learn how to organize digital organization
  8. eBook publishing… individual pages from students merged together for a student created textbook
  9. share student work! customized portfolio, customized yearbookProject 365                                                                                                           Project 365 is an app that helps you document a year with photos. This week on the MacReach Show, we explored how teachers can incorporate Project 365into their classrooms! Here’s what we came up with:
    1. Document a daily EduWin!
    2. Gather work samples
    3. Create a class yearbook
    4. Remember the unexpected teachable moments
    5. Progress monitoring for a given subject
    6. See a growth chart
    7. Create a time Lapse for a project
    8. Do a daily discovery scavenger hunt
    9. Document the life of the school for a year
      BrainPOP® creates animated, curricular content that engages students, supports educators, and bolsters achievement. BrainPOP is also home toGameUp, a free educational games portal for the classroom.In traditional, blended, and “flipped” learning settings, BrainPOP supports individual, team, and whole-class learning. At school and in informal learning environments,  characters help introduce new topics and illustrate complex concepts. The Mixer tool lets users tailor their assessments to meet all students’ needs. A great fit for mobile learning and BYOD classrooms, BrainPOP’s educational apps have been downloaded millions of times and lauded in countless reviews.It’s resources are fully supported by BrainPOP Educators, a free teacher community. The content is mapped to the Common Core, aligned to academic standards, and searchable with our online Standards Tool for each state. BrainPOP is easy to use, with no downloading, installation, or special hardware required.BrainPOP was conceived by Avraham Kadar, M.D., an immunologist and pediatrician, as a creative way to explain difficult concepts to his young patients.
      To start exploring BrainPOP, check out our Free Stuff.